What the hackerspace
From VoidWarranties - Hackerspace Antwerp, Belgium
Revision as of 23:27, 29 January 2015 by 220.127.116.11
All you ever wanted to know about Hacker Spaces but where afraid to ask.
Brief overview of the history and the evolution in Hacker Spaces. What is a Hacker Space, what are Hackers and what are they Hacking?
Time and place
10:45 - 11:15 at the JOSTO INSTUIF
Quotes on HS
- HS is a knitting club for geeks. (fs111)
- the Rules and Tips of hsbxl (http://hackerspace.be/Patterns)
- As a species we would not exist on our planet if we hadn't evolved to come together in community and make tools to survive in a sometimes wonderful, sometimes hostile environment. Just because we can now sit in front of our computers and buy whatever we want or need does not mean that we don't have a deep inner need to express ourselves by making things and be with other people in real community. Hackerspaces provide both of these profound needs, and we provide them to anyone who wants to learn, teach and share. (Mitch Altman)
- For me a hackerspace is a place I can make anything. NYCResistor is a clubhouse for 35 of the smartest geeks in NYC and we have the tools and resources to make anything. (Bre Pettis)
- Self help group for socially challenged individuals. Nerds Anonymous, if you like... (Jobj)
- Social club for nerds (Koert)
- Gay bar for nerds (not my quote, I'm quoting someone else, but I have no idea what his name is)
- Place where out of the box thinking people, create things for tomorrow, with the knowledge an materials of today...
- It is a location where people with common interests, usually in science, technology, or digital or electronic art can meet, socialise and collaborate. A hackerspace can be viewed as an open community lab, workbench, machine shop, workshop and/or studio where people of diverse backgrounds can come together to share resources and knowledge to build/make things.