| With so many ongoing IT related projects, its always good to have some control over the Network Traffic.
Enable some extra services at the space or block some traffic from outside the space would just be a nice-to-have-toy to play with.
- Ram: 64Mib (DDRII ram to be confirmed)
- Storage: 128Mib compactflash
- CPU: ??? (pentium II or III to be confirmed)
- Network: 5x 10/100Mbit
- Powerconsumption: ??? to be measured.
Firewall OS Possibilities
- Default Wathcguard OS (are you nuts?)
- pfSense (current amount of ram and compactflash storage are too small)
- other, suggestions are welcome
Installing m0n0wall / flash the image to compactflash
- Long version can be found here: http://doc.m0n0.ch/quickstartpc/index.html
- Stuff you can't do without is here below
(use the -u flag if the target disk is > 800 MB - make very sure you've selected the right disk!!)
physdiskwrite [-u] generic-pc-xxx.img
(you must use v0.3 or later!)
gzcat generic-pc-xxx.img | dd of=/dev/rad[n] bs=16k
where n = the ad device number of your CF card (check dmesg) (ignore the warning about trailing garbage - it's because of the digital signature)
gunzip -c generic-pc-xxx.img | dd of=/dev/hdX bs=16k
where X = the IDE device name of your HD/CF card (check with hdparm -i /dev/hdX) - some CF adapters, particularly USB, may show up under SCSI emulation as /dev/sdX (ignore the warning about trailing garbage - it's because of the digital signature)
The existing compact flash image, with the watchguard has been backed up to the homedirectory of Barputer and is called FireboxV60. Should someone feel the desire to restore to factory defaults.
The compactflash has been flashed with M0n0wall, but no working serial output at the moment. (Because the flashing has been done wrong, choose an above methode to flash the compressed image to compactflash)