|Rebuilding the barputer, with a touch of cloudlyness.|
- Rebuilt the barputer
- Prevent that hardware failure will make El Presidente get no Mate (and you know what happens if he doesn't get his Club-Mate on time)
- (attempt to) optimize it.
Since the barputer lives in a pretty harsh environment, a backup strategy is required. The last one left us at a moment whe didn't expect it to fail, and accounting is an issue for those who pay their drinks monthly. My idea was to put the barputer and related software in a VM (without Apache <= 2.2.19, or even without Apache at all), and access it remotely. I recently starded exploring x2go. X2go is somewhat like a RDP alternative for linux, a free/OSS version of NXServer.
The advantages of x2go/NX are:
- low bandwidth required to use the desktop remotely (important, because network connections tend to get slow sometimes in the space)
- (almost) platform independent
The disadvantages are:
- it has a built in YouTube-Be-Gone, which you can only disable by throwing extra bandwidth at it.
- OS X only has a PowerPC client officially (to bad for you Lion users...), but there's a workaround which doesn't involve downgrading to Snow Leo, or screwing up your system by putting Lion+Snow Leo in a blender and run that on your Mac. It will blend, but getting it to work is another issue.